Useful Video Captioning Terminology for Enterprise and Education Whether you work in business or higher…
The Individuals With Disabilities Education Act or IDEA
How the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act or IDEA, can help you.
Know your rights if you are a student with the IDEA
In 1975 The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act or IDEA was passed to ensure that every child in America was given equal access to education. The act has been amended several times since it was first passed. But the spirit of the law remains the same:
- First, the law ensures that all individuals with special needs have access to a free public education. Schools are obligated to teach students with disabilities in a classroom environment whenever possible and to provide them with the tools necessary to succeed.
- The second part of the Individuals with Disabilities Education provides parents a voice in their child’s education. Parents can collaborate and have input in the educational decisions the school makes giving their child specific rights and protections.
What this means for you is that everyone has the right to insist on having the tools they need to get an education. Easy entry into classrooms, desks to accommodate special needs and captioned video content are some examples.
If you feel you or your child’s school is not adequately addressing these needs, request to speak with your child’s teacher and see if they can develop an Individualized Education Program that will work.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) was designed to protect you and your loved ones. Accessibility in education is a right, not an option.
Helpful IDEA Links:
- IDEA overview and history
- Federal regulations for Part B of IDEA
- Federal regulations for Part C of IDEA
- Guidance from the U.S. Department of Education
- Find out how searchable captions can help you at https://cielo24.com
- For a free trial go to https://cielo24.com/solutions/free-trial/
Additional Accessibility Links:
- The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) Highlights and Overview
- Section 508 Compliance Overview
- Summary of 508 Compliance Standards
- Section 508 Guide for E-learning and Multimedia Technology
- GSA Tutorials, Guidance and Checklists for multimedia
- Alliance for Technology Access
- Equal Access: Design of Distance Education Learning Program
- ADA, Title III Regulations