Closed Captioning for iOS Technology Businesses understand that the world is rapidly switching to mobile…
Upcoming CVAA Internet Video Closed Captioning Deadlines
The 21st Century Communications and Video Accessibility Act of 2010, otherwise known as the CVAA was created to bring FCC laws from the 1980s and 1990s up to date with 21st-century technologies. We are now in the final stages of implementation with two more upcoming CVAA internet video closed captioning deadlines.
Past CVAA Deadlines
Title II of the CVAA requires video programming that is closed captioned on TV to be closed captioned when distributed over the internet. These requirements specify which types of videos must be captioned and when that needs to happen. Past deadlines have ensured that:
- All prerecorded programming not edited for Internet distribution shown on or after September 30, 2012, is captioned.
- All live and near-live programming (shown within 24 hours of being recorded) shown on or after March 30, 2013, is captioned.
- All prerecorded programming that is substantially edited for Internet distribution shown on or after September 30, 2013, is captioned.
- All straight lift clips shown on or after January 1, 2016, are captioned.
- All video programming that a distributor already shows on the Internet and is later shown on TV with captions is captioned within 15 days after the date it is shown on TV.
There are two upcoming CVAA internet video closed captioning deadlines.
January 1, 2017
All Internet video clips where a single file contains multiple straight lift video clips (i.e. montages or compilations) must be captioned if the associated TV programming is shown with captions on or after January 1, 2017.
July 1, 2017
Video clips of live TV programming must be captioned within 12 hours of being aired on TV with captions. Video clips of near-live TV programming must be captioned within 8 hours of being aired on TV with captions. This includes content such as news, sporting events, and late-night talk shows.
Reference the chart below for content that is excluded from the upcoming CVAA internet video closed captioning deadlines.
There are various professional video captioning services that can help you meet CVAA deadlines. At cielo24, we specialize in 99% accurate captions and transcripts, as well as media intelligence. Click here to read about our unique services.